Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday Link 1: Defeating Ignorance (Trigger warning!)

I have bad Twitter hygiene. I see things that look interesting and "favourite" them, fulling intending to return to them soon. And then they sit there for 2-3 weeks. This morning I was woken up very early by annoying cats, and not being able to go back to sleep I caught up on some of those things.

There are two I wish to share today, but I could not bring myself to put them in the same post because while they fit together nicely in my head, they are very very different.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first piece has to do with children of rape. I did not go into the whole Todd Akin thing on here because 1) I was on vacation, 2) I would not have been able to stop ranting if I tried, and 3) it was being discussed by much more knowledgeable people all over the world. But rest assured it did anger me very very much.

This article is one of many responses that has been posted. It is a heartbreaking read, very upsetting, and absolutely  necessary. To be able to discuss issues related to rape and abortion we need to be willing to hear the hard stories.

It is definitely an article that comes with a trigger warning however.

The Legitimate Children of Rape (from the New Yorker)




(Credit: linked to me by @brainpicker)

No comments:

Post a Comment