Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Link: Facebook & misogyny

People need to stop linking to interesting things at night! I read them, and they get me all excited, and then I can't sleep until I have my two cents out in the open.

Tonight's link is an excellent blog regarding misogyny and Facebook, and the 12-year-old-slut meme.

It calls Facebook out for allowing groups and pages to exist that serve to denigrate, insult, and/or harass women because they're "humour". It makes the excellent point that they do not allow such "humour" to exist when it is against minorities (racial or religious. Sexual minorities seem to be the exception to all hate speech rules).

Read the blog, watch the stunning video. Then come back here for my thoughts on both.

About the blog:
I agree! But I won't give up my Facebook profile because of it. Encourage others to think about and consider what they are doing when they like these groups or pages, and work actively to beautify your little area of the social network. Educate people on why this is not humour, and how these groups are harmful. Be conscious of what you post and like. The biggest way to defeat these awful things is to open dialogue with the more rational people who go along with it (because some people are just not interested in rational discussion, and there is no point wasting energy on them yet) and slowly the circle being conscious will grow, taking away from the circle of people who go along with this.


About the video: I love the idea of this campaign. I love encouraging women to do self-advocacy, to stand up for their rights, and to work together. But I had issue with one of the vignettes: the rape. I felt the racial choice made here could be read as a statement or assumption, but even more I was upset by the idea that she could just suddenly fight him off. Like if someone gets raped it's because they just weren't fighting hard enough. I am sure the creator did not intend it that way, but it is one of those subconscious hidden messages we must always consider.


Alright, bedtime for this sleepy sleepy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment