Saturday, June 16, 2012

Link: The Gender Trap podcast

I love radio documentaries. In a strange way even more than film documentaries, though that might just be because they are more portable and can be enjoyed while I try to get exercise (a WHOLE other issue in my life!).

One of my favourite things is therefore the CBC radio show "Ideas" which I enjoy in podcast form while going for walks or runs. It is a series of radio documentaries about anything and everything under the sun. Sometimes I agree with what is being said (lots of times), and sometimes I disagree but listen anyway because it's good to be informed and open.

A great episode I just finished listening to is The Gender Trap, Part 1. I have no idea how long they keep podcasts up, but if it is still up you can check it out at http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2012/04/25/the-gender-trap-part-1/

It is an analysis of the faults in the science behind "male brains" and "female brains", and looking at the role unconscious bias plays in the development of children at very young ages. I quite enjoyed it. I have just started Part 2, which is about the family in Toronto who decided to keep their child's gender a secret which seems fantastic and interesting and may be the subject of another post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment