Saturday, June 16, 2012

Introduction

I am starting this blog as a place to post my rants, findings, and thoughts about gender. Why? Because lately I have been seeing more and more things about gender issues (women's health rights stuff in the States, internet attacks on females for having opinions, and harmful stereotypes jumping out at me everywhere to name a few).

To state my position on gender very clearly from the start: I believe a dichotomous system of gender (male/female) is convenient, but false. I see gender as a spectrum, partially because I believe I fall fairly middle on that spectrum.  In some ideal future world gender will be seen and treated this way, and people will be seen and treated as who they are, not what category they fall in.

However we are not in that world. And we cannot be until we see people from all over the spectrum as having the same value. We don't. So, in the current world we have to use the male/female dichotomy until we can bring the two sides to equal. In this dichotomy, I am female. And I am feminist. And I have lots of opinions that I want to type up and put out there, even if no one wants to read them.

The things I feel the need to post about soon are:

-The importance of a name (my own experiences with having a gender-neutral, or maybe better described as gender-confusing, name)
-Why do we find stereotypes so witty?
-Life as a female math/science teacher
-Why does society get so freaked out when we challenge stereotypes and ideas?
-Media and pop culture
-And many other random little thoughts I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment