Friday, July 26, 2013

Tourist in my own town

Yesterday two of the other new Canadians - Michael (my new housemate) and Katherine (generally awesome) and I took some time to explore our own town and have some tourist type experiences. It was an amazing day, the kind of day that is exactly why you take big risks like moving overseas. 

Our day started with afternoon tea at a local cafe. So much food! It was delicious (though all I actually wanted was the scones with clotted cream and jam). I stole this picture from Katherine as I was too lazy to transfer mine from my non iOS phone:


Very yummy! 

I had some stuff to mail so we walked from there to the post office. It was low tide so someone (I don't remember who) said how they wanted to someday walk out as far as they could to meet the water. It was quickly agreed that that sounded great and someday should be now. So after swinging by the post office we walked along the "sea-side" - it is really an estuary not the sea where we are - until we found a likely place to go out. 


During high tide this is a floating buoy. During low tide it sits there. It is not even a fifth of the way out at low tide. 


My fellow explorers! 


This was after having walked probably five minutes out and is facing towards the water to give an idea of just how far out the tide goes. 


The most interesting part to me was the geography of the ground we were walking over. There were lots of these little creeks running through and around the sand/mud. 


We encountered some deep mud on our way...


About that deep (for me at least)


As we got closer to the water the fairly flat ground was replaced by dunes with puddles. I find this picture very beautiful. The fact that this is sea floor (or should I say estuary floor) astounds me!


We finally did reach the edge of the water


About that far from town. 






Our second big adventure was to walk out to a church that was built in 1050 ad. It was about a mile and a half walk, so not far at all from our place! Although it is technically in Grimsby, not Cleethorpes. Actually it's in an interesting area called "Old Clee" with an interesting history. I won't comment on each picture individually but let you just enjoy them.





So fantastically creepybeautiful! Yes I just came up with that word for this exact type of thing.



For one last picture, my favourite part about the church was actually what was across the road from it:











No comments:

Post a Comment