Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Midweek Reflection

I am now halfway through my first week at the school. I have lots of thoughts swirling but am really not sure how to organize them so forgive me this crazy post!

So far I am really enjoying being back around small folk. They are definitely different than Canadian teens. It's a strange mixture of ways - some ways that they show more traditional respect (holding doors or waiting for me to pass) and other ways that they are total brats (too many to list). We are in the middle of a heat-wave (seriously. Everyone here is stunned and confused by it it seems) which doesn't help. Being the last week of classes doesn't help. Because their system is so different they are not wrapping up and preparing for finals as I am used to in the last week. They are just still going and will continue in the fall. 

I have been given my class schedule for the fall (which could always change of course). You see each class less here, meaning I have 13 separate groups I see once or twice a week. They are all in years 7 to 10 (Alberta equivalent is grade 6 to 9) with a wide mix of ability groupings. It will be interesting. I look forward to it. 

I have tons and tons of thoughts on the differences between the systems and the kids that I probably shouldn't post publicly (not that they are bad or anything, just that I never want to have anything on this blog come back to bite me!) so I will move on to non-school stuff. Or school-adjacent stuff at least. I have now met the other Canadians - good people! I am really enjoying them! I definitely look forward to time with them as we move on. 

I have been eating ridiculously well thanks to my new roommate who enjoys cooking (and is really good at it!) I have gotten out for two runs so far to help keep me on track with so much good food around and am hoping to go for another one tomorrow. Over the summer I will check out the different fitness classes around so I can keep up my progress. Also I hope to spend lots of time walking around various places that I visit! I am not doing any big trips over the summer but need to figure out where I want to travel in October (as well as if I want to go alone or with someone!) 

Okay, that is such a scattered post but I just got hit by a massive wave of sleepiness. Time for this Miss to go relax and not use her brain. 

Later!


1 comment:

  1. It's hard to put a lot of those observations into words, isn't it! I forgot about the kids holding doors though! Some how it's the kids opening the doors into me causing bruises on my legs (yes they knew I was there) that I remember!!

    ReplyDelete