Friday, July 26, 2013

Time Zones

I have an actual, content based post to put soon. Possibly in about five minutes when this is done. But I have been thinking about and wanting to comment on this for a while so want to discuss it separately. 

One of the weirdest things to adjust to has definitely been the time zone difference. Particularly when it comes to communicating with my loved ones back home. It is a seven hour difference which can be quite awkward for interacting with people.

If I wake up early enough in the morning (around 7) I catch some people still awake. I get a giggle out of seeing who is up late as my morning progresses. However then we enter what I think of as "the dead time". Super dramatic hey? I just found myself calling it that without even realizing. It is pretty much from about 9 am (nowish) to about 3 pm. For those of you in Alberta this is your 2 am to 8 am. You are all (or should all be) sleeping soundly and happily and therefore everything goes silent. No Facebook posts, no tweets, no messages or emails. Silent. The airwaves are dead. For the first few days this time was really tough because I felt very cut off. Now that I am meeting great people and having fun here it isn't tough anymore, but I still find myself very aware of it. 

Then there is the liveliest time. Often while I am asleep and it is evening in AB. I find this time funny because I will wake up to a whole bunch of notifications and get to see how busy you all have been. I truly enjoy seeing all the life happening. I wake up and smile at your crazy antics. 

Living 7 hours ahead is such a crazy feeling, but I am getting used to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment