Thursday, July 11, 2013

Settling In

This will be my third night sleeping in England since the move. I will be honest - it's not so much that it's harder than I expected but that I am less tough than I hoped. In other words I still find myself being a weepy mess far more than I would like. Mostly if I get a sweet message from a loved one, or if I even think about talking with my mum. Lots of fun stuff with high anxiety and such is going on, but that's no fun to read about so I will leave it at that. 

It may not sound like it but I am still really excited for the adventure ahead of me, and I am enjoying myself so far. 

Wednesday I slept in ridiculously. I woke up at 9:00 in the morning and thought to myself there's no rush, you should just lounge. I got out of bed at 1 pm, and only because I knew I wouldn't sleep at night if I stayed any longer. I'd like to say I was just laying here, but in reality I had weird dreams so I know I was sleeping. I got dressed and called the bank to set up an appointment for the next day. I then decided to walk to the Main Street to see if I could follow the directions I'd been given. I successfully made it there, and bought some fruit and vegetables in celebration. 

In the evening I went with my new room mate Laura to a "sight and sound" evening her school was putting on featuring selections from Les Mis. It was a blast - I forgot how fun school concerts can be. The kids are just so excited and adorable. It was also nice to meet some more of the Canadian teachers who have been here for a while.  On the way home we grabbed some ingredients and then Laura made some fantastic food. She is a great cook from what I have seen so far!

Today I got up at a reasonable hour, though I still lazed a lot. I convinced myself to go for a run which was quite helpful. The run itself wasn't great, dealing with a stressed body and an annoying podcast system, but I felt really good about myself for getting out. It is quite a pretty town to run through. I then did some domestic type stuff (ie ironing) and walked back to the Main Street for my appointment at the bank. They were super nice and I believe I am all set up. Here's hoping! 

This evening Laura took me to dinner with her at her mentor's house. It was wonderful not only because the woman is very nice (and the food delicious!) but because she has a tortie cat. I miss my Quirk so much! It was really nice to get to cuddle with an adorable kitty tonight as a holdover until I can have my own here. Now I am enjoying some alone time (yes I'm alone all day but somehow evening alone time seems to be what's important to my mood) in my pjs.

Am I homesick? Unbelievably. Is it difficult? Incredibly. Do I kind of want to just hop a plane and go home? Definitely. But I know this is the opportunity of a lifetime and I know that I can do it if I just hold on. I am so blessed to have so much love in my life, and to have modern communication systems to help me keep in touch with it! I appreciate all the messages of support I have received, they make me cry a little but also keep me going. This will be a grand adventure, and I'm glad you're along for the ride with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment