Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Rag and Bone Man

This morning I got to see something interesting and new to me that exists here: the Rag-and-Bone Man.

I was sitting in the living room when my roommate ran in saying it was the Rag-and-Bone Man was here, and told me to come outside to see. I was totally confused and had no idea what she was talking about so stepped outside with her. I couldn't see anything at first but could hear a rattling noise from down the street.

My room-mate explained to me what was happening: historically these men would collect rags and bones to sell as scrap. As they rode through town they would call out and people would know it was time to out out their junk. You can read all about it on Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag-and-bone_man

Today's Rag-and-Bone Man collects scrap metal, not rags or bones. When he appeared I could see he was riding a bike and hauling a cart behind him. On the cart I could see a bicycle, a couple metal buckets, and various other scrap. As he rounded the corner he called out his notice of being around. It was really neat to see! 



No comments:

Post a Comment