Thursday, June 6, 2013

Jen and Linden in the U.K. But not yet because we are really in Ireland Chapter III Scary Stuff

I had a blast today! I hope Jenny did too. We definitely had to face some fears. 

This morning we had a fantastic breakfast at our B&B.  I particularly loved the homemade scones with marmalade, but they were nice enough to give me some eggs for protein. I love this place! Even after the difficulty yesterday!

After breakfast we caught the bus to the main station where we boarded another bus out to Blarney. We were nice and early so the bus was almost empty. I love the Cork buses because they actually give you change. 


(A street in Blarney village near where the bus stopped)

We walked up to Blarney Castle to explore. The grounds were amazing, with lots of pretty bridges and flowers and trees and such. 

(Me and one of those bridges)

We got to the Castle just after it opened. I am really glad we did as it got very crowded later in the day. The castle was really interesting - very cramped. I read a lot of books set in castles (possibly really cheesy romantic fiction but who's to say for sure?) and this sure changed my visualization! I took tons and tons of pictures, but those are on the other camera and can't be uploaded via wi-fi at this time. 

The scary stuff started in the castle. Particularly in the stairwells. The stairs were narrow, windy, and rather nerve-wracking. Also slippery from being walked so much. I kept thinking back to a sign near the door saying that if you felt they were narrow you should remember that Winston Churchill did them and figured if he could then I could. I'm not a particular fan of heights however so as it kept getting higher and higher my nerves got louder and louder. Eventually we reached the top and the next scary thing - kissing the Blarney Stone. I didn't get a great picture on my camera so paid for the official pictures of me doing this, and took a photo of that photo on the iPad. I think the expression in the first one tells you pretty well how I was feeling:


It is definitely not for the faint of heart!

After walking back down a separate set of crazy stairs (Jenny found these easier, I found them worse because I could see how far there was to fall) we explored the grounds more. First we checked out the caves beneath the castle, which were really neat. Then we went into the Rock Close to see waterfalls, the Wishing Steps, and many many things about witches or Druids. I thought of my mum a lot, I think she would like that part. Then we went for the forty-five minute Lake Walk, though somehow we ended up on the Woodland Walk trail by following my fabulous navigating skills. Eventually we found our way back to the castle and the little cafe where we grabbed lunch. 

After bussing back to Cork, doing a little splurge shopping, and resting in our room we headed out for dinner at a great little place called Liberty Grill. It was scrumptious. We then set out to walk to the Cork City Gaol museum. We we running a little late, so ended up trying to walk quite quickly. Which was alright until we got to the other side of the river and it was all uphill. I was grateful for all the running I have done lately, I probably wouldn't have made it up those hills otherwise. 


(The back view of the Gatehouse)

The museum tour was great. The building itself was beautiful, and just a bit creepy. I love the history of jails - I hope to do at least two more historic ones on this trip! I highly recommend the Night Tour here if you are ever in Cork. Really interesting stuff. 


The view of the jail building itself from the Gatehouse. 

One thing I am certain of is that if I ever gain access to time travel I do not want to end up incarcerated in Cork in the 1800s. 

We are now back in our room and resting up for tomorrow's train back to Dublin and some more adventuring there. If I am lucky I might even get to another jail tomorrow!


4 comments:

  1. Kilmainham is pretty kickass awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linden, I did not know that you had to hang upside down to "kiss the Blarney Stone." It gives a whole new meaning to the idea! Why do you? Hang upside down, I mean?
    I can't remember if Newgate Prison still exists. Medieval prisoners had to pay their gaolers to stay in prison (better than dying, though). Otherwise, no one would turn up for trial.
    don't know if I have got the hang of this. So forgive me. Glad that you lot are having a great time. Good luck on your interview. Love, Jain

    ReplyDelete